• Maida or All purpose flour 2 cups
• Olive Oil 1 tbspn
• Baking powder ½tspn
• Baking soda ½ tspn
• Salt as per taste
• Garlic cloves 5 chopped finely or grated
• Butter 50 to 60grm room temperature
• Grated Mozzarella Cheese ½cup
• Peri peri powder 1 to 2 tsp to sprinkle
• Finely chopped Corriander leaves 2tsp
• Dry basil leaves to sprinkle
• In a large bowl add the maida or all purpose flour, to this include salt, baking powder, baking soda and 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
• Add water and knead well for 5 minutes to form a soft dough. The more you knead the softer the bread will be.
• Cover and keep aside.
• Alternatively, in a smaller bowl add the butter (room temperature not frozen and should not be melted in oven)
• Include grated or finely chopped garlic to the butter and give it a good mix.
• The garlic should be well blended with butter.
• Take a rolling pin /bela and roll the dough to a round shape like a size of medium pizza.
• Spread the butter and garlic mix on top, covering full circle of the spread dough base. Keep some butter as we need this towards the end.
• Sprinkle Corriander leaves and dry basil leaves if available.
• Now, on one side of the rolled out and buttered dough add a generous amount of Mozzarella cheese and cover using the other half.
• Press the sides well using your finger or a fork.
• Now, spread the remaining butter garlic on the covered or top portion and sprinkle chopped Corriander leaves and dry basil leaves along with peri peri masala powder.
• With the help of a knife slightly cut vertical slits on the calzone preparation.
• Grease olive oil on a baking tray, and carefully place the prepared calzone on it.
• Bake it in a pre-heated oven under 160°C for about 15 min or until it is done.
• Once done, sprinkle more peri peri powder on top and serve hot with ketchup. Yummy home made Cheese garlic calzone ready for your child.
• Butter has to be in room temperature to blend well with garlic. Do not melt the butter in oven.
• You may increase the quantity of butter based on the size of your calzone.
• Slices of chopped chicken sausage or pepperoni can be added as filling as well.
• Slitting the calzone before baking is important.
• Make sure the sides are closed well so that the cheese doesn’t ooze out while baking
One thought on “Cheese Garlic Calzone”
Peri peri powder on a calzone…I love it!
LikeLiked by 1 person