This is an absolute home style cooking, yet very flavourful recipe that goes extremely well with plain rice or rasam rice. Typically a spicy south Indian non vegetarian recipe which is a Sunday lunch delicacy. This recipe can also be cooked with shrimps instead of chicken, however the cooking time for shrimps is less. Do try out this amazing and lip-smacking recipe and let me know how you like it.
Ingredients for marination.
• Pepper corns 2 tbsp. dry roasted
• Saunf /fennel seeds 1 tbsp. dry roasted
• Jeera/ Cumin Seeds 1 tbsp. dry roasted
• Red chilli powder ½tspn
• Turmeric powder ½tspn
• Chicken thighs with bones (should be cut into half to get mouthful chunk) ½ kilo
• Coarsely ground pepper to be added separately during marination 1 tsp.
• Curry leaves one handful
• Ginger garlic paste 1tspn
• Asafoetida 2 pinches
• Green chilli 2 to 3 slit
• Lime juice 1 tsp.
• Dry roast the saunf(fennel seeds),pepper corn and jeera(cumin seeds) and grind them coarsely into a powder.
• Marinate the chicken with the roasted and ground powder along with curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, extra pepper corn powder, red chilli powder, Asafoetida, Turmeric powder and slit green chilli.
• Mix well and keep the chicken for marination for about 30 minutes.
Ingredients for cooking
• Onion 3 medium finely chopped
• Curry leaves 2 sprigs
• Ajwain or carom seeds (optional) ¼tspn
• Coconut oil 2tbspn
• Asafoetida a pinch
• Coriander leaves
• Salt as per taste
• In a pan add coconut oil.
• Add ajwain to the oil and allow this to splutter. Later, add curry leaves, asafoetida. Saute this for 10 seconds.
• Next, add finely chopped onion and cook this until the onion turns dark brown and the onion starts leaving oil and cooks completely.
• Once the onion is well cooked, add the marinated chicken and cook it in high flame for 3 minutes.
• Later simmer and cook the chicken for 13 to 15 minutes or until it cooks soft and tender.
• Garnish the dish with chopped Coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with plain white rice.
• Do not add water while cooking.
• Ajwain is completely optional
• Adjust the extra pepper powder according to taste.