• Onion 3 medium Roughly cut
• Dry Red chilli 5 to 6
• Asafoetida/ Hing a pinch
• Tamarind paste 1 tspn
• Mustard 1 tspn.
• Urad dhal ½tspn
• Water as needed
• Oil ¼tspn
• Add oil to a wok and keep it on stove in a low to medium flame.
• Once it heats add the onion and cook until it turns translucent.
• Now add Asafoetida and dry red chillis to this and fry for 3 more minutes.
• Transfer it on a plate and allow it to come to room temperature.
• Add these to a mixer grinder or food processor along with tamarind paste, salt and half cup Water and grind.
• Transfer to a bowl.
• Place a small pan on a stove and add oil to it.
• Once it heats add a tspn of mustard. Allow it to splutter and later add urad dhal and stir with the spoon and wait until it turns golden brown.
• Pour this on the chutney for garnish.
• Yummy onion chutney is ready to go with your Idlis and all kinds of dosas.