Every household and every region in India has their unique recipe of Biriyani. Since there are variations in itself, nailing the basic biryani recipe alone needs a lot of expertise and experience.
While trying to nail this dish comes with skill, experience and guidance by a good teacher, my mentor, critic and guide to cooking some unique dishes has been my husband, specially for this one!
Getting a pat on my back from him, means that I’ve really done a good job. I recently prepared the below Egg Biriyani for my family and he loved it! Hence, sharing my recipe in my blog.
Serves 3 people
• Basmathi Rice/ Jeeraga samba Rice 1½ cup soaked for 30 min
• Onion 3 medium sliced
• Tomato 2 medium chopped
• Fresh mint leaves handful
• Green chilli slit 2
• Fresh Corriander leaves handful
• Boiled egg 4
• Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
• Green Cardamom 3
• Black Cardamom 1
• Black pepper ½tsp
• Bay leaf 2
• Clove 4
• Star Anise 1
• Cinnamon Stick 1
• Turmeric Powder ½tsp
• Red chilli powder ½ tsp
• Coriander powder ½tsp
• Cumin Powder ½tsp
• Garam Masala 1 tsp
• Biriyani masala powder 2 tsp
• Curd 2 tbsp
• Oil 2 to 3 tbspn
• Water 2 cups
• Heat oil in a wok, add Black Cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, green Cardamom, Star Anise, pepper corns and bay leaf. Add bay leaf towards the end to ensure it doesn’t burn.
• Once the flavour of spices blends with the oil, add slit green chilli and sliced onion.
• Sauté well and ensure the onion cooks well while keeping the flame in medium heat.
• Once the onion turns brown, add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes.
• Next add salt Turmeric powder mix well and add chopped the Tomatoes.
• Sauté for another 5 minutes and add Corriander powder, Cumin Powder, red chilli powder, Biriyani masala powder and Garam masala.
• Mix well and add the mint leaves and Corriander leaves. Cover and cook for a good 10 to 15 minutes or until the raw smell goes. Ensure to sauté in between.
• Next add 2 tbsp of curd and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Switch of the flame and transfer the masala into the rice cooker.
• Add the soaked Rice along with 2 cups water. Do not add more water as you will have water content in the prepared masala as well.
• Once cooked add the boiled egg. Mix well without breaking the rice and garnish with chopped Corriander leaves
• Cover and keep aside for about 5 to 10 min serve with onion Raita.
• You may use the same method to prepare any type of Biriyani veg of non veg.
• Ensure to give the Biriyani its resting time after garnishing this will help for the flavours to blend in well.