I have long awaited to learn and prepare this wonderful dish as it is our family favourite food and its usually in our list when we buy any north Indian delicacies from the restaurant. I finally nailed this amazing dish, so much so, that we stopped buying dal makhni from the outside. We can easily say that this punjabi recipe is the most favourite of everyone who loves Indian food. Please proceed to read along and prepare this yummy, tasty and mouth watering recipe & I am 100% sure you will be more than happy to learn this dish and forget about buying it again from outside, specially my South Indian friends.
- Black Urad dal (whole): 1cup
- Rajma : ¼cup
- Water : 4 to 5 cups
- Butter: 100grms
- Ginger Garlic paste : 1 ½tbsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder: 1½ tbsp or as per choice
- Slit green chilly (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh tomato puree :1 ½ cup
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Garlic chopped : ½ tbsp
- Butter(optional) : 1 to 2 tbsp
- Dried methi leaves :a pinch
- Cream : 2 tbsp nicely whisked
• Soak the black urad dal & rajma overnight or minimum 4 to 5 hours.
• Scrub and wash it clean. Drain the water and wash again for a couple of times.
• Pressure cook the dal and rajma with 5 cups of water till dal and rajma cooks very well.
• Alternatively, roughly cut the tomatoes and puree them. You may blanch and puree them as well.
• Take a wok and melt butter and saute ginger garlic paste for 2 minutes & add a slit green chilly which is optional.
• Keep the stove in low flame and add the Kashmiri chili powder, stir and quickly add the tomato puree. Ensure not to burn the chille powder.
• Cook the tomatoes until they turn thick & the butter ooze out. The raw smell of tomato goes out.
• Now add the cooked dal and rajma to the tomato puree along with some water and salt.
• Cook the dal in low flame for 30mins stirring it in regular interval.
• Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped garlic.
• Fry the garlic until it turns brown and add it to the boiling dal.
• Add some more butter, if needed along with a pinch of dry kasurimethi leaves(dry fenugreek leaves) and add whisked cream. Remove and serve hot with Roti or Jeera rice.
• Do not compromise with the quantity of the butter.
• After adding the cooked dal to the tomato, ensure to cook for 30 minutes which will enhance the flavour.
• If while cooking as mentioned above, the dal is thick, you may add more water and continue to cook.
• Add the kasurimethi after u turn of the stove and a small pinch only.
• You may add slit green chilly while u sauté the ginger garlic paste for an additional flavour and heat.