• Idly rice 3 cups
• Urad dhal 1 cup
• Fenugreek ¼tspn (gives the red color for dosa)
• Soaked poha(optional)
Method to prepare batter
• Soak the idly rice and urad dhal with fenugreek overnight
.• Grind it to a batter. If it is for idly then add less water while grinding and if it is for dosa grind it to a running consistency.
• Adding soked poha while grinding will give very soft and spongy idlis.
• Leave it for fermenting overnight.
• Grease the idly plates with oil and pour a ladle of fermented batter onto the idly plate.
• The batter doesn’t need to be thin. So do not add water.
• Steam it for 10 to 15 min or until cooked.
• Once cooked leave the lid open and allow the idly to cool for about 5 to 10 min.
• Scoop it out neatly and have it with sambar, chutney or idly podi.
• Dosa batter should he in running consistency if you want a thin and crispy dosa.
• Add a cup of water to the batter and stir well.
• Heat the dosa tava or a nonstick flat griddle.
• Put a quarter spoon of oil and spread it with a tissue or an half cut raw onion while it heats.
• Take a ladle full of batter on the tava/griddle and spread it evenly in a circular motion.
• Add the oil and cook on both sides.
• Carefully fold it and place it on your plate.
• Eat with sambar and chutney.