Some recipes create a nostalgic feel and takes you back the memory lane. These dishes reminds us of our childhood days, when our mothers used to send healthy and tasty food for lunch during school. A two layered lunch box with Roti or rice on one layer and curry on other was a regular routine. Unlike the quick and ready to eat meals we get these days, all foods back then were freshly made and ensured its filled with nutrition. One such favourites is jeera aloo or potatoes tossed with Cumin seeds.
Potatoes in general are everyone’s favourite vegetable all over the world. There are very many dishes made out of these wonderful carb filled vegetable and we Indians surely know how to combine spices and create some delicious and flavorful food.
I made one such simple yet tasty recipe perfect to go with dal and rice or with Roti. Love the combination of flavours with potato, Cumin seeds, Corriander seeds , ginger and green chilli.
Your kids will love them too.
• Potatoes 2 big boiled and cut into cubes.
• Jeera or Cumin seeds 1½ tbsp
• Corriander seeds 1 tbps.
• Green chilli 2 slit
• Asafoetida ¼tsp (hing)
• Ginger 1 inch finely chopped or grated.
• Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
• Red chilli powder ¼tsp
• Amchur/ dry mango powder ¼ tsp (optional)
• Cooking oil 1 tbsp
• Corriander leaves hand ful
• Lime juice 2 tbsp
• Boil and cut the potatoes in cube and set them aside.
• Heat oil in a wok, and add Cumin seeds, crushed Corriander seeds and asafoetida (hing) to it. Make sure you do not burn them as you will lose thr flavor if its burnt.
• Now add slit green chilli and finely chopped ginger and sauté in low flame.
• Add the boiled and cut potatoes. Sauté and include Turmeric powder, chilli powder and amchur or dry mango powder along with salt.
• Mix them well. Cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
• Turn off the stove and add lime juice and garnish with fresh Corriander leaves.
• Serve hot with Roti or along with rice and dal.